PDA

View Full Version : Touristy things in London?

canuckotter
Dec 27, 2007, 6:59 PM
I'm heading to London (actually just outside, but close enough that I can wander in to town) next week for work. I'll end up being there over the weekend with not much to do... Any suggestions for fun touristy things I could do to entertain myself? I've never been to the UK before, and I don't even know what sorts of things I should be checking out... :)

(Asking on here since I know there are a lot of UK folks hanging about.)

diB4u
Dec 27, 2007, 7:12 PM
I'm heading to London (actually just outside, but close enough that I can wander in to town) next week for work. I'll end up being there over the weekend with not much to do... Any suggestions for fun touristy things I could do to entertain myself? I've never been to the UK before, and I don't even know what sorts of things I should be checking out... :)

(Asking on here since I know there are a lot of UK folks hanging about.)

Hi there

Glad I can help heres a link of G.A.Y club, I walked passed it and it looks cool...

http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/pubsandbars/g-a-y-bar-info-15162.html

depends on what you want to see...

Sex? Shows? Attractions?

http://www.visitlondon.com/

where abouts in london are you going to are you traveling on your own?

Hope that this helps!!!

damit1963
Dec 28, 2007, 12:05 AM
For sight seeing I loved the Towers of London. The jewels,armor and history of the place is amazing! King Henry the eighth had some of his wives beheaded here.

Madame Tussauds was cool. Some of the wax pieces were very realistic.

The palace also has tours that were okay.

Try to get out into the country, I was assigned to the Cotswold area and the area around Oxford. Both are beautiful, and friendly toward Americans.

darkeyes
Dec 28, 2007, 4:57 AM
Stay outa "the Smoke" ... betta places an more interestin.. like 400 miles north for a start!!!! An we don speak funny!!! tee hee... but seriously..The Smoke is triff for pubs clubs theatre opera an sites 2 c.. jus a bit stinky wiv all the traffic.... pick up a copy of Time Out..an yas cracked it..plenty 2 do an c.. an the lufflies r luffly 2... enjoy.

FalconAngel
Dec 28, 2007, 1:15 PM
Here's someplace to visit if you have a full 2 days to spend. Its between London and Cambridge.

http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/server.php?show=nav.00d00i003003004

Germanicus
Dec 29, 2007, 4:35 AM
Stay outa "the Smoke" ... betta places an more interestin.. like 400 miles north for a start!!!! An we don speak funny!!! tee hee... but seriously..The Smoke is triff for pubs clubs theatre opera an sites 2 c.. jus a bit stinky wiv all the traffic.... pick up a copy of Time Out..an yas cracked it..plenty 2 do an c.. an the lufflies r luffly 2... enjoy.

Get yourself up to the Lake District and Morecambe Bay (avoid Blackpool like the plague). Landscape and seascape - who could want for more?

bigman1972
Dec 29, 2007, 11:11 AM
Having lived in london for 10 years generally i would do the following.

presumably if your having an early start.
saturday morning I would take a tourist bus ride round london. www.theoriginaltour.com
decide what you would like to see (personaly tower, national portrait gallery)
(you sometimes find you get vouchers for reduced admission with the bus)
I would use the bus jorney to decide what i would like to do and pencil them in for the saturday afternoon and sunday. Either use the bus to get around for the rest of saturday(hop on Hop off ticket) or as i usually did get a tube travelcard(can also use on the buses) on an evening you can take in a west end show. or my preference has always been wandering round SOHO shaftesbury avenue areas there are some loverly pubs. and If you want there is the Gay area here as well.
sunday you should have a better idea of what you want to see. Use a travelcard as before.

Above all be carefull particulary on the tube late at night and that you dont get conned be anyone. be safe and enjoy yourself.
its a shame that i recently moved or i would have shown you around myself!

TrimBeardHairyBod
Dec 29, 2007, 12:43 PM
Bearing in mind you're not staying in the city centre but having to get here, do make an early start in the morning. I say that because we're quite a bit farther north than Ottawa and the hours of daylight at this time of year are less than you're used to.

Have a great time whatever you end up doing/seeing and remember, the weather isn't damp 'n' grey all year round.

John <----- born and raised in Montreal. A Londoner by choice!

canuckotter
Dec 30, 2007, 9:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, folks! :) And for the warning, TrimBeardHairyBod -- I hadn't thought about the fact that London's further north!